Senior Machine Learning Engineer
We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Bumble is looking for multiple Senior Machine Learning Engineers to join our team and assist us with the engineering component of the workflow. The role will be focussed on making improvements to our current ways of productionising our models. You will be the first Machine Learning Engineer within the data science team and so will be expected to bring expertise and a new set of skills to the team.
We are looking for someone with extensive experience in productionising machine learning models and a passion for delivering huge impact on product. With millions of images and messages exchanged on our platform every day, there is a wealth of opportunity to make a real difference in this role and help people to find love all over the world!
- Determine the most appropriate route to get a model from the prototype phase to production so that it can begin delivering business value whilst minimising risk, time and cost.
- Be a key driving force behind and contributor to discussions supporting decision making with respect to system infrastructures (e.g. cloud or internal), architectures, libraries, workflows etc.
- Understand the existing infrastructures for productionising machine learning models along with their limitations in order to proactively drive forward improvements to processes.
- Support the data science team in the productionisation work required for a number of different projects (computer vision, NLP, recommender systems etc).
- Build frameworks that are highly generic in order to minimise time to production and enhance iteration capabilities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams in order to take a project to product-ready status.
- Understand the requirements of a project from a technical production perspective in order to support data science team members in the prototyping phase.
- Establish and develop appropriate monitoring infrastructures for production models.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of machine learning from both a theoretical and practical implementation standpoint.
- Solid software engineering skills and confident in terms of programming and scripting (strong Python essential).
- Thorough understanding of deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow and Pytorch and ML pipelines.
- Experience with data science workflow frameworks such as KubeFlow, Airflow etc.
- Experience developing with containers inc. Kubenetes.
- Proven ability to translate complex concepts into a digestible format understood by non-technical stakeholders.
- Degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Machine Learning or similar.
- You are an expert in productionising machine learning models, are able to work with high autonomy and can balance short term deliverables with longer term projects.
- You enjoy keeping up to date with the recent trends in data science and have a passion for applying your knowledge to solve real-life use cases impacting millions of users.
- You think about ethics in AI, the impact of machine learning on society, and want to bring that to fruition in your work.
- You are innovative and inspired to take on new challenges.
- An enthusiasm for mentorring and sharing knowledge within the rest of the team.
- Have an interest in contributing to the data science community both internally in Bumble and externally at MeetUps and conferences.
With over 600 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
* Flexible working hours
* Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
* ‘Random Coffee’ - connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
* ‘First Fridays’ - meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
* Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
* Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
* You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!
About Bumble: Bumble is the parent company that operates Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s largest dating and connection apps with millions of users globally. The Bumble app was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. Bumble is majority-owned by Blackstone and has over 600 employees in offices in Austin, London, and Moscow.