Safety First: 7 Steps to a Worry-Free First Date
We recognize the importance of empowered dating, which is why we prioritize the safety of our community. And to help you carry a sense of security into the real world and create a safer dating-app experience, we’ve curated a list of seven helpful safety tips for meeting someone IRL for the first time:
1. Meet in a public place. Always!
2. Tell somebody close to you where you’re going. Let them know when and where, and that you’ll contact them within a certain amount of time.
3. Do your due diligence. Ask for their last name, look them up, do your homework (but don’t find out everything about them!). Also ask them to get verified using our photo verification feature.
4. Don’t give out private information about yourself. It’s smart to keep a few details to yourself on a first meeting. Don’t share things like your home or office address right off the bat.
5. Take the time for a pre-screen. Offer to have a FaceTime or phone call date prior to the IRL date. If they hesitate, it’s a good sign that it may not be right for you.
6. Always feel free to politely leave the date. In every social situation, you should always be kind and compassionate. If you don’t feel comfortable, it’s always important for you to put yourself first.
7. Enlist the help of a bartender or a waiter. Watch your surroundings and find an advocate nearby. Have the waiter help get you out of the situation by saying you have an urgent call. If it’s something more serious, you can always have someone call the police or help you get a ride home.