At Bumble, we are fully committed and passionate about creating an inclusive and safe space for our community so that everyone feels positive and empowered. Gender is unique to each of us and we believe every new connection starts with being able to show up as your authentic self.
Inclusivity as a priority
We’ve partnered with the experts at GLAAD, a media advocacy organization advancing lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) acceptance, to better provide a space that allows everyone across the gender spectrum to feel safe and seen. With GLAAD's guidance, people can now share more about their gender identities and sexual orientations, enabling them to better express themselves in ways that best reflect who they are.
Choose how you identify
We’ve extended the list of gender options for our community. Whether you’re brand new to Bumble and just setting up an account, or you’ve used our app before but wish to expand about who you are, how you show up is up to you.
New members can choose their gender identity upon registration by following these steps:
- When asked about gender either when registering for a new profile or updating your profile, you can select man, woman, or nonbinary.
- Once a gender is selected, you’ll see a prompt saying “Add more about your gender,” where you’ll be able to choose from an array of expanded gender identities and sexual orientations.
- From here you can also decide whether you’d like to show your gender identity on your profile. If you’d prefer your gender identity to be hidden, you can toggle off the button.
Existing members are able to update their gender identity at any time by following these steps:
- Select “Edit Profile” underneath your profile avatar on the main screen
- Scroll down to the "My basics" section
- Select “Gender” and from here you can update your gender
- From here you can also decide whether you’d like to show your gender identity on your profile. If you’d prefer your gender identity to be hidden, you can toggle off the button
- If you’re based in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, or India, you will also have an option to add up to three pronouns to your profile from here, which will be shared across your Bumble Date, BFF, and Bizz profiles
Please note, you can only choose one gender identity option to display on your profile and both your pronouns and gender identity can be updated at any time.
If you don’t see an option that you identify with, please let us know by tapping on “Suggest another option” at the bottom of the list. You can read more about our expanded gender identities here.
Choose who you match with and who sees you
You have the option to choose who you’d like to date - women, men, nonbinary people - a selection of two options or everyone in the app.
If you are new, upon signing up for Date, you will be asked who you are interested in connecting with and you can make your selection there.
If you are an existing member or wish to change your preferences at any point you can do so by following these steps:
If you are on Date mode:
- Select the gray hive logo at the bottom of your screen.
- Select the Date filters icon on the top right of the screen.
- From there you are able to select the gender identities that you’re interested in seeing.
Do you have feedback?
If you have any feedback for us on Bumble’s gender identity options or need to ask a question, we’re here for you by contacting us here.